Sustainable Food Photography
What is sustainable eating?
There are many different answers to this question. I’ve certainly written a few articles on the subject!! While answers of all sorts resonate to me, I’m increasingly attached to the question. Why? Because the answer is evolving, and will continue to evolve. The important thing is that the question (and the resulting data that emerges) prompts a process that will enrich all of our lives. Exploration of sustainable eating is what is most important. It presents a curriculum that we must all participate in.
Following is a tiny, simplified summary of what drives my sustainable eating choices today. For more detail, visit my article: What Is Ethical Eating?… Is Eating Meat Ethical?
…What? Where? How?…
What we eat is important, yes. For now, the data I’ve collected has led me to a diet of many vegetables, a little bit of meat, and as few grains as possible. Where: the source of ingredients is critical, and an arguably more important focus-point than the “what” (as the “where” determines the “what” in a locavore diet). How: feeding soil is essential, and the process of re-engagement with our food sources is sacred.
Achieving joy as I adjust my diet is a huge priority, because behaviorally sustainable adjustments will impact my footprint more than large adjustments made once or twice. I’ve been delighted to find that this achievement is as natural as the food I’m ingesting. I rarely use recipes because my meals are built around the following questions:
What is in season? What is local? What is fresh? What is in my kitchen today? How can I ensure that I do not waste the fresh food I have?
The answers to these questions create the recipes. I retreat from the equation and fall into an inevitable cadence. The resulting meals feed not only my husband and I, but purpose, process, intention, ambition, compassion… AND FLAVOR GALORE!
Here are some photos I’ve taken in the last week, in an effort to chronicle the experience. Please share your thoughts! If you enjoy this peek into my sustainable eating endeavors, I will be sure to make it a recurring theme!
Our goal is to reach 1000 FaceBook page likes (click here)! “Liking” our page will include our industry related news updates and musings in your newsfeed (1-3/day). If you already “like” it, consider sharing our content with your friends, using the one click sharing buttons below. We appreciate your help in reaching our goals!
- Ellen Kanner: Nourishing The Planet, All 7 Billion Of Us (huffingtonpost.com)
- Better Home Ecology for Foodies (biodwellblog.wordpress.com)
- Eating Sustainably (greenling.com)
- Should Chefs Care About Sustainability? (chicagoist.com)
- 30% of Meat Eaters Refuse to Date Vegetarians (newser.com)
- The Eco Footprint of an American Diet (yourgreenreview.com)
- Creating Neighborhood Foodsheds: Sustainability in Suburbia (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Pescatarian: 10 Ways to Make Sure You’re Eating the Most Sustainable Fish (ecosalon.com)
- The Decolonizing Diet Project is Teaching Volunteers to Eat Like Native Americans (treehugger.com)
- Innovative Project Combines Health, Ethics, Food, and Social Media: Meet HoneyColony! (eatdrinkbetter.com)