Earth Day ~ 8 Outdoor Activities
Happy Earth Day! I’ve made a list of outdoor activities I suggest adding to the calendar, along with some inviting imagery! I thought I’d share them! If you live in the Bay Area, I encourage you to use these ideas! If you’re a global sibling/neighbor, I hope that my descriptions will inspire you to plan for similar outdoor activities that are available in your surrounding landscapes!
I joined my husband on a business trip to San Luis Obispo and Pismo Beach over the weekend. We were sure to spend as much time as possible outdoors. I’m using pictures from our road trip in this post;)!
- Lafayette Resevoir ~ 3849 Mt. Diablo Rd, Lafayette
Circle the dog-friendly paved trail while catching up with a friend, watch your toddler discover the intricate two-story playground, or run the rim trail for an active work-out! I also love to walk alone, breathing in fresh air, watching the shadows change as I round the reservoir, and stopping at one of the many waterside benches to rest, think, and record my thoughts.
- Iron Horse Trail ~ 2698 Oak Rd, Walnut Creek
I use this trail for foot-and-bicycle transportation around Walnut Creek. Be sure to notice the chipper cadence of fellow walkers, joggers, and stroller-pushers, and in early spring open your senses to the delicious rhododendron fragrance!
- Lake Merritt ~ 568 Bellevue Ave, Oakland
On a leisurely summer weekend, I often fancy an energetic urban vibe. I love to gallivant along Lakeshore Avenue, choose from one of many small breakfast cafes, then burn some calories with a swift walk around the lake (if you have kids be sure to check out Children’s Fairyland!).
When we need to hear the ocean, feel relaxed, and remember our connection to nature, a slow drive to Stinson Beach is an ideal day trip! We suggest leaving home early to miss traffic, rolling the windows down on curvaceous Highway 1, indulging in a savory breakfast at Parkside Cafe, then lounging wave-side with a favorite book.
- Embarcadero ~ 1 Sausalito – San Francisco Ferry Bldg
Walk the Embarcadero, explore the piers, absorb the buzz of the city, and sample a few happy hour menus on your way back! Grab a pitcher while gazing at views of the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island on Pier 23’s sunny deck, and try the Pisco Sour at La Mar.
- Dipsea Trail – Steep Ravine Loop ~ Pantol Ranger Station: 801 Panoramic Highway
Relish this moderately difficult 3.8 mile hike into the Redwood Forest and Steep Ravine! Cross short wooden bridges, appreciate the view of the Farallon Islands on a clear day, and get your blood pumping while marveling over how many of our ancestors may have explored this land through the ages.
- Tilden Park ~ 600 Canon Drive, Berkeley
Take a steam-train ride with your youngster, soak in luxury at the botanic gardens, and escape into quiet on a hiking exploration of one of the area’s oldest parks! Don’t miss a visit to Tilden’s “Little Farm” followed by a relaxing picnic at Lake Anza.
- Mount Diablo State Park ~ 96 Mitchel Canyon Fire Rd, Clayton
Pack plenty of water and snacks, summit Mount Diablo, and treasure the exhilarating view! Explore an extensive trail system, adore the wildflowers, and cheer for the cyclists trudging up a 17% grade.
How are you celebrating and honoring Earth Day? What are your favorite outdoor activities?
Thanks for reading! Squeeze hugs from Annie, at Biocadence.
- Stinson Beach: Play! (anaturemom.com)
- Captioned Photos # 1 – Happy Earth Day! (felipeadanlerma.com)
- Happy Earth Day Everyone! (ourchildrensearth.wordpress.com)
- 5 Smart Ways To Celebrate Earth Day (news.health.com)
- Create-With-Nature Earth Day Celebration: Rock Towers (anaturemom.com)
- Daily Digs | Bring The Outdoors In (denydesigns.com)
- Happy Earth day! (kismetsoubliette.wordpress.com)